What is Resistance Training and why is it important?
Resistance training (also called strength training or weight training) is the use of resistance to muscular contraction to build the strength, anaerobic endurance and size of skeletal muscles.
Resistance training is based on the principle that muscles of the body will work to overcome a resistance force when they are required to do so. When you do resistance training repeatedly and consistently, your muscles become stronger.
A well-rounded fitness program includes strength training to improve joint function, bone density, muscle, tendon and ligament strength, as well as aerobic exercise to improve your heart and lung fitness, flexibility and balance.
Examples of Resistance Training
- free weights – classic strength training tools such as dumbbells, barbells and kettlebells
- medicine balls or sand bags – weighted balls or bags
- weight machines – devices that have adjustable seats with handles attached either to weights or hydraulics
- resistance bands – like giant rubber bands – these provide resistance when stretched. They are portable and can be adapted to most workouts. The bands provide continuous resistance throughout a movement
- your own body weight – can be used for squats, push-ups and chin-ups. Using your own body weight is convenient, especially when travelling or at work.
Health Benefits of Resistance Training
- improved muscle strength and tone – to protect your joints from injury
- maintaining flexibility and balance, which can help you remain independent as you age
- weight management and increased muscle-to-fat ratio – as you gain muscle, your body burns more calories when at rest
- improved cardiovascular fitness
- improved mobility and balance
- improved posture
- increased bone density and strength
- reduced risk of osteoporosis
- improved sleep and avoidance of insomnia
Your Coach and Trainer
Click here to read more about me and learn why TheMacroPlan will be the last wellness program you'll have to search for on your journey towards achieving fitness and nutritional success!
How to Get Started
After purchasing your plan you will receive an online fitness assessment and goal setting form. Once completed I will get to work on building your personalized program.